Below please find the main rules to be used during the Independence Cup tournament.
(Kindly note that the current FIBA rules will be applied for this tournament between 21st and 23rd September. The new FIBA rules will then be applied as from the start of the Shield competition two weeks later. A special meeting for all coaches, referees and interested persons on the new changes in the rules as issued by FIBA will be held in the coming days. Details will be provided soon)
1. All teams will play each other on a one round system.
2. If two or more teams finishes with the same number of point’s classification will be calculated as per FIBA rules.
3. Two (2) sessions of 15 minutes (playing time) will be played.
4. Non registered players can participate in this tournament
5. A team can only have a maximum of: three (3) Foreign players. Minimum two (2) Maltese players on court during playing time.
6. Time Outs: One in the first half and Two in the second half
7. Team Fouls: A Team is in Team Foul Penalty Bonus after seven (7) team fouls.
8. Personal Fouls: A player is fouled out after four (4) personal fouls
9. Should a game end level, an overtime period of 3 minutes will be played. One time-out for each team in such an overtime period. If further overtime periods are needed, these will also be of 3 minutes duration with one time out for each team.
10. All MBA and FIBA rules apply for this tournament except for the ones mentioned above